Call for Volunteer Young Social Media Reporters
To Support the Social Media Campaign for the 2016 African University Day and Innovation Week
The Association of African Universities (AAU) has partnered with University of Professional Studies, Accra (UPSA), the Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA) the MeltWater Entrepreneurial School of Technology (MEST), and Wisconsin International University to organise key events to mark the 2016 African University Day / Innovation Week. The theme for the African University Day is “Entrepreneurial Learning and Communities of Practice”. This year the AAU Secretariat will use Social Media with the help of Social Media Reporters to create awareness about the African University Day. This innovative approach will harness Social Media to create awareness and engage the higher education community electronically through the use of TWITTER, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE and BLOGGING. This approach aims to generate “noise and excitement” online about higher education in Africa and contribute towards the advocacy role of the AAU.
Roles of Volunteer Young Social Media Reporters
- Selected volunteer social media reporters will work online to retweet, like facebook posts, share videos, share pictures, write blog articles and re-post posts related to the African University Day. These volunteers will work online from 31st October 2016 to 13th November 2016 (14 days).
- The social media reporters will be guided on what to tweet. E.g. a schedule of tweet and Facebook posts will be shared with the reporters.
- On-Site volunteers will also be selected from our partner Universities to support the online campaign and also participate in “onsite social media reporting”. Physically presence during the events is thus a requirement for onsite reporters.
- The hash tag #AfricanUniDay16 will be used to tag all posts that will be posted to enable aggregation and tracking of traffic about the 2016 African University Day
- While tweeting or liking posts, social media reporters will be encouraged to mention universities in Africa and hopefully create awareness on and promote these universities as well.
- All selected volunteer social media reporters will be expected to follow AAU social media platforms
- Team leaders will be selected to assist and channel the efforts of their team members in order to reach their goals.
The Profile of a Young Social Media Reporter
- Has experience using social media at least – twitter, facebook
- Loves social media and visits them daily
- Has a smart phone and access to internet
- Has a good reputation in social media communities
- Understands the importance of hash tags and content aggregation
- Appreciates the importance of higher education for Africa’s development
Benefits to the Young Social Media Reporters
- You will learn about social media reporting
- You will be given an e-certificate signed by the AAU Secretary General of AAU if you complete the tasks assigned to you.
- You will have a real experience to include in your CV
- You will be associated with the Association of African Universities and included in our database for future related opportunities to support your career growth
How to Apply
Please complete this online application form
Deadline for Applications
30th October 2016
Objectives of African University Day Celebrations
- Create awareness on the importance of higher education in Africa
- Promote dialogue on how to improve higher education in Africa
- Promote dialogue on how to improve Entrepreneurship in Africa
- Celebrate the success stories of higher education in Africa
Venues for the 2016 African University Day Celebrations
- Meltwater School of Entrepreneurship (MEST) near Lizzy Sports Complex, Accra, Ghana.
- University of Professional Studies Accra (UPSA) near the Presbetarian Boys Senior High School (PRESEC Legon)Accra, Ghana
- Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA). Greenhill in Accra, Ghana
- The African University Day will be celebrated widely on the continent with various universities in Africa hosting events on their campuses to mark the day.