Dear Vice Chancellor/Rector/President,
The Association of African Universities will hold its 14th General Conference in June 2017. The year 2017 will also be the year AAU will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of its founding.
The General Conference, an assembly of representatives of all member institutions, with development partner representatives and others in attendance, meets once every four years for the purpose of:
– assessing the activities implemented in the past four years against the background of a Core Programme and Budget approved at the previous Conference;
– approving the plan of activities and budget estimates for the following four-year period; and
– electing a Governing Board of the Association from among the Vice Chancellors, Presidents and Rectors of the member universities.
This event is normally jointly organised with a member institution in good standing with regard to payment of annual membership subscriptions.
The AAU hereby invites applications from member institutions for the co-hosting of this prestigious Conference.
The host university will be expected to contribute to the organisation of the Conference, financially or in kind, by way of:
- Local transportation for participants
- Airport “meet and greet” (reception and facilitation of immigration procedures)
- Traditional items as gifts to presenters and sessional chairs
- Welcome Reception or Dinner for participants
- Publicity and media coverage (local press, radio and TV, conference photographer)
- Arrangement of courtesy calls by the Governing Board on appropriate Government authorities
- Arranging of excursion visits by delegates
- Secretariat for the Conference (equipment and supplies)
- Decorations, banners, invitations to Opening/Closing Ceremony and receptions
- Cultural display during open and closing ceremonies
Applications to host the AAU Golden Jubilee Conference should be addressed to:
The Secretary General
Association of African Universities (AAU)
Deadline for the receipt of official application to host the 14th General Conference is Friday, 24 June 2016.
It may be noted that the co-hosting of this most prestigious of African academic events provides very high-level exposure to the host institution and country, and is therefore highly sought-after.
If your institution is interested in co-hosting the 2017 General Conference, kindly let us hear from you as soon as possible. Dates and other details will be taken up after final decision by the Executive Board at its next meeting at the end of May, 2016.
I look forward to hearing from you, and wish you the best.
Yours in the service of higher education in Africa,
Professor Etienne Ehouan Ehile
Association of African Universities