Call for Participation – 1st African Universities’ OlympicsDecember 3, 2018
Strengthening Scientific Writing Skills for Publishing Research Outputs in Peer-Reviewed JournalsDecember 10, 2018
February 5-8, 2019, Lusaka, Zambia
The Association of African Universities in partnership with the University of Lusaka, invites individuals/institutions to the DATAD-R IX workshop to be held in Lusaka, Zambia from the 5th – 8th February 2018. This DATAD-R IX workshop, is for Researchers, Librarians and library IT support staff of University libraries, and other information and knowledge management professionals. Institutions managing the theses/dissertation in hard formats and thinking of migrating to electronic theses/research management, but having challenges, institutions that intent on setting up institutional repositories to improve visibility of their researchers and research output, Institutions with dysfunctional repositories, and institutions that want to join the AAU DATAD-R are all strongly encouraged to participate. There will be two parallel listed below that will also have hands-on sessions namely:
- Researchers and Librarians’ session will focus copyrights, licensing, policies, and advocacy for content generation, preparation and uploading of research content to IR.
- Library IT staff session will be on IR setup, configuration and customization.
Institutions are strongly encouraged to send at least 3 participants – one for IT, one for Librarian, and a director of Research to attend this all-important meeting.
Areas to be covered will include the following for Librarians/Information Professionals:
- What is a repository and the benefits for an HEI
- Advocacy for institutional support and policies
- Copyright and licensing of research content on IR
- Technical approaches to setting up an IR
- Creating users groups, communities and collections
- Assigning roles and establishing workflows
- Setting up the IR server, Installing software (DSpace)
- Configuration DSpace
- Customizing DSpace
- Upgrading from lower versions to higher version of DSpace
- Branding and marketing repositories for more visibility
- Google analytics; RSS feeds; Other social media platforms, tracking visits through online statistical monitoring
The registration fee per participant is as listed below, and will cover the cost of snacks, lunch, training material and certificates.
Participants from AAU member institutions: $400.
Participants from Non-AAU member Institution: $500.
Registration link below: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DATAD-RZambia
Registrations will close by 18th January 2019, to allow time to arrange for visas.
Participants will cover their cost of air ticket and accommodation. For further information, please contact Mrs. Bunmi Odufala (AAU) on email@example.com and Mr. Mpundu Chilonga (University of Lusaka) on firstname.lastname@example.org
The Workshop Flyer and Call can be accessed here –