The Association of African Universities in partnership with University of Khartoum, Sudan, invites individuals / institutions to their DATAD-R V workshop to be held at the Prestigious University of Khartoum, Sudan, from the 25th – 27th February 2018. This DATAD-R V workshop, is for both Librarians and library IT support staff of University libraries, and other information and knowledge management professionals.
Institutions thinking of managing the theses/dissertation and research from faculty electronically, but having challenges, institutions that intend to set up an institutional repository and to make their research more visible, Institutions with existing repositories that want to revamp their repositories to meet current trends and be harvested for DATAD-R are all strongly encouraged to participate. There will be a lot of time allocated for hands-on. There will be two parallel sessions namely
- IR management training for the Librarians and
- IR setup, configuration and customization for Library IT staff.
Institutions are strongly encouraged to send 2 participants – one for each category above- to attend this all-important meeting. Some areas to be covered include the following for
- What is a repository and the benefits for an HEI
- Advocacy and institutional support
- A useful checklist for Setting up an IR
- Technical approaches to setting up an IR
- Metadata descriptions
- Creating users and user groups
- Creating communities and collections
- Assigning roles and establishing workflows
- Setting up the IR server
- Installing software (DSpace)
- Upgrading from lower versions to higher version
- Configuration DSpace,
- Customizing DSpace
- Integrating DSpace into institutional website/platforms
- Making your repository more visible by means of
- Google analytics
- RSS feeds
- Other social media platforms
- Tracking visits through online statistical monitoring
See program outline below on page 3
Interested participants are kindly requested to register online at the link below.
Please endeavor to register before February 20, 2018, to allow time to arrange for visas.
The registration fee per participant as listed below, and will cover the cost of snacks, lunch and training material.
Participants from AAU member institutions $300
Participants from Non-AAU member Institutions $350
Travel and Accommodation
Participants will cover their cost of air ticket and accommodation. There is however negotiated accommodation at the Grand Holiday Villa, Khartoum at $100 per night (Bed/breakfast/dinner) Those interested in the accommodation should indicate on the registration form