Invitation to take part in the African Jobs Board SurveySeptember 11, 2019
AAU TV AdvertisementSeptember 13, 2019
15 -18, October 2019 | Banjul, Gambia
The Association of African Universities (AAU) in partnership with the Gambia Ministry of Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology invites individuals/ institutions to their DATAD-R workshop to be held in Banjul, the Gambia Republic, under the theme: “Protecting National Research for Development” from 15-18 October 2019. This DATAD-R XII workshop is to strengthen the capacity of both Librarians and library IT support staff of University libraries, and other information and knowledge management professionals to manage and disseminate the research output from their faculty and students widely for greater impact. It will provide an opportunity for participants to share their experience and learn about new trends in electronic content management.
Institutions thinking of managing the theses/dissertation and research from faculty and staff electronically, but having challenges, institutions that intend to set up an institutional repository and to make their research more visible, Institutions with existing repositories that want to revamp their repositories to meet current trends and be harvested for DATAD-R platform are all strongly encouraged to participate. There will be a lot of time allocated for hands-on. There will be two parallel sessions namely
- IR management training for the Librarians and
- IR setup, configuration and customization for Library IT staff.
Institutions are strongly encouraged to send 2 participants – one for each category above– to attend this all-important training workshop. Some areas to be covered include the following for
- What is a repository and the benefits for an HEI
- Advocacy and institutional support
- A useful checklist for Setting up an IR
- Technical approaches to setting up an IR
- Metadata descriptions
- Creating users and user groups
- Creating communities and collections
- Assigning roles and establishing workflows
- Setting up the IR server
- Installing software (DSpace)
- Upgrading from lower versions to higher version
- Configuration of DSpace,
- Customizing DSpace
- Integrating DSpace into institutional website/platforms
- Making your repository more visible by means of
- Google analytics
- RSS feeds
- Other social media platforms
- Tracking visits through online statistical monitoring
The registration fee per participant is as listed below, and will cover the cost of snacks, lunch and training material.
Participants from AAU member institutions: $400
Participants from Non-AAU member Institutions: $500
Interested participants are kindly requested to register online at the link below https://www.research.net/r/DATAD-R-B-2019 Please endeavor to register before October 7th 2019, to allow time to arrange for visas.
Travel and Accommodation
Participants will cover their cost of air ticket and accommodation.
Prof. Etienne E. Ehile
Association of African Universities