Theme: Revitalising the 21st Century Higher Education Quality Assurance Systems, Tools, Processes and Procedures
Date : October 31- November 3, 2017
Venue : Kumasi, Ghana
The workshop aims to share knowledge and skills related to HE QA through sensitization and bringing awareness of what quality in HE is all about and the current continental and regional activities related to quality assurance. It seeks to minimize resistance to institutional QA practices and activities while dealing with the slow acceptance rate of QA in general by some HE communities. It aims to deal with issues of designing and establishing QA units/departments/directorates, QA policy, manual and the running of robust quality management systems. Strategies for developing and promoting a quality culture in institutions through education and training of management, staff and students will also be considered together with the integration of QA into the university systems. Assuring adherence to QA practices by institutional communities and formulation of instruments to set up, check, control and maintain the quality of HEIs will be discussed. The development of knowledge and skills for HE QA personnel, because they are recruited with no due consideration of QA qualifications will be dealt with. The development of knowledge and skills for HE personnel (lecturers, registrars, deans, chairpersons) because they are the custodians of quality in departments, faculties, student enrolments, staff recruitments, record keeping and examination process etc will also be examined. Knowledge and skills on Communication, Documentation and Data Collection in QA for record keeping as well as monitoring and evaluation of both students and staff will be shared.
Objectives of the workshop
- Share knowledge and information on the important endowments and characteristics of a robust higher education QA system.
- Equip participants with the background knowledge that informs good QA practices in HE.
- Share knowledge and skills of the diverse ways of assuring quality in institutions of higher learning in order to expose to participants the importance of viable QA systems.
- Make known to participants the recommended new modes and models of QA for HE institutions.
- Bring awareness of Quality Assurance and increase the visibility of the Quality Assurance activities in African Higher Education.
- Foster cooperation with other Quality Assurance Officers of higher education within the continent.
- Disseminate Quality Assurance endeavours and benchmarks in African Higher education through all the possible means of communication.
- Encourage the harmonization of African Higher Education through the African Standards, Guidelines and Benchmarks as well as the African Quality Rating Mechanism (AQRM) tool for institutional evaluations for QA in HEIs.
- Train and sustain a pool of QA Officers in the region for the multipliers effect of quality assurance in African Higher Education Institutions.
- University lecturers (including Doctors and Professors) from all areas of specialization including Medicine, ICT, Agriculture, Commerce, Law, Architecture, etc
- Polytechnics lecturers including (including Doctors and Professors) from all areas of specialization including Medicine, ICT, Agriculture, Commerce, Law, Architecture, etc
- College lecturers including (including Doctors and Professors) from all areas of specialization including Medicine, ICT, Agriculture, Commerce, Law, Architecture, etc
- Quality Assurance personnel in Higher Education Institutions, Colleges and Polytechnics
- Training personnel in Non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and International organizations
Registration Fees and how to pay:
USD350.00 for member universities and
USD400.00 for non-Member universities
Dr Violet Makuku
other experienced facilitators
Kindly download the concept note for further information on this workshop: CONCEPT NOTE