The Mukuba University wishes to appoint an outstanding individual to the position of Vice Chancellor (VC) to drive and enhance the mission and vision of the University. The successful candidate should be a strategic leader, forward thinking and a competent administrator. The candidate will be expected to Direct, Manage, and Coordinate the activities of the University to ensure that the goals, objectives, and programmes of the University, as approved by the Council, are achieved.
The candidate must possess strategic planning and management competencies, strong business acumen and the capacity to transform an evolving and growing institution to comparable global standards. The candidate should be a good communicator and have effective leadership skills that will inspire and sustain a cohesive and inclusive university student and staff community. Candidates for the role will have requisite academic credentials, be committed to the values of a research- led University and have a minimum of 10 years experience of management and leadership in a higher education institution or a comparable organisation at a very senior level. He or she must be an effective entrepreneur and renowned scholar. The successful candidate shall be appointed for an initial fixed-term contract of 5 years.
Key Functions and Responsibilities
The key functions and responsibilities on which the Vice Chancellor will be expected to focus and deliver, include but are not limited to:
- Direct, plan and control the affairs of the University ensuring high quality academic standards, increased consultancy, and community service with emphasis on research, innovation, entrepreneurship and producing industry-relevant graduates.
- Preside over all affairs of the University Senate, oversee and plan academic programmes, and review the university’s curriculum development in line with worldwide trends.
- Provide leadership and create and maintain academic standards and policies that are effective and up to date.
- Implement, encourage and influence strategies that develop the University into a centre of excellence for research, innovation and consultancy services.
- Deliver the University’s corporate strategy that ensures the institution’s academic, administrative and financial sustainability.
- Develop an establishment of risk management policy, function and implementation framework for the university and to also ensure that risk management strategies are in place and are adhered to in order to minimise the University’s exposure;
- Ensure that all University activities and operations are carried out in compliance with the University governance requirements, and any regulations, rules, laws, codes, standards applicable to higher institutions of learning.
- Ensure that the University is compliance and adherence to good corporate governance principles at all times;
- Harmonise relevant Acts, University Statutes and Ordinances, Employees’ terms and conditions of service and facilitate the enactment of relevant statutes/ordinances which empower recently established units/departments;
- Ensure constructive and amicable relationships between management and all stakeholders including the Government and its line ministries, especially the Ministry of Higher Education; the University Council and Senate, private business, academic and non-academic staff, Students, the community, Higher Education Authority (HEA), and other local, regional and international institutions of higher learning;
- Collaborate with other universities, both local and international; identify and negotiate agreements with suitable International partners who will work with the University to assist it achieve its aims;
- Provide strong leadership for all staff, nurturing an inclusive, collegiate culture to empower them to realise their full potential; leading the University’s learning and teaching agenda;
- Facilitate the implementation of outreach programmes and reflect on the social corporate responsibility of the University including its sustainability;
- Work with the University Council in selecting and building up strong management and leadership teams.
Education and Academic record or credentials:
A distinguished academic record of international significance at a minimum of an earned PhD coupled with a minimum of 10 years extensive managerial and administrative experience in Higher Education Institutions or comparable organisations.
Evidence of a global outlook.
Applications must include the following:
- Application Letter;
- A Curriculum Vitae (CV) (comprising an abridged summary showing main highlights of the CV of not more than 4 pages and a detailed CV);
- Certified copies of academic records commencing from Zambian Grade 12 ‘O’ level, ICGSE (or equivalent) to Higher Education (Transcripts & Certificates);
- Three letters of reference sent directly by the referees; one of whom should be in administrative and managerial setting of higher education or comparable organisations.
All applications should be sent by email to the Search Committee Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org (copied to email@example.com) to reach him no later than 14th August 2020.
Click here for full details on this Vacancy: Mukuba University VC Advertisement
More information about the university can be found at its website https://www.mukuba.edu.zm