Quality Assurance Project Officer (P2-P3): Terms of Reference
The Association of African Universities (AAU), an international non-governmental organization (INGO) with headquarters in Accra, Ghana, was set up in November 1967 by universities in Africa to promote cooperation among themselves and with the international academic community. The AAU collaborates with a number of international organizations and development partners in an effort to fulfil its mandate to the African higher education community.
The AAU is part of a consortium on Harmonisation, Quality and Accreditation Initiative (HQAI) funded by the European Union Commission whose key objectives are to contribute and support the harmonisation of higher education programmes and the creation of a revitalised, distinctive, attractive and globally competitive African higher education space, through enhanced intra-African collaboration. Pursuant to this Quality Assurance (QA) Initiative, AAU is creating a Capacity Development Centre for QA, which is a centralized structure within AAU that will be responsible for all QA related activities, with particular reference to the HQAI initiative. As a result of this initiative and recognizing the volume of envisaged activities, AAU seeks to recruit a QA Project Officer.
The AAU Quality Assurance Development Centre will undertake a number of activities, including but not limited to:
- Quality Assurance Training Activities such as capacity building workshops for staff of QA agencies; capacity building workshops for institutional assessments;
- Management of the African Higher Education QA Platform and African QA database; providing updated information on diverse QA initiatives in Africa and an extensive database of HE QA experts and networks across the continent as well as interested European experts;
- Analysis of QA regional frameworks with a view to identifying commonalities and areas of divergence and to inform the work of the Technical Working Group;
- Organize various technical working group meetings and international workshops; and
- Facilitate QA Connect Institutional Evaluations.
Main Responsibilities of QA Project Officer
The QA Project Officer will be a member of the AAU project management team and will report to the Secretary General of the AAU through the Director of Research & Academic Planning/QA Coordinator. S/he will be responsible for the day-to-day execution of the activities of the AAU QA Development Centre under the guidance and supervision of the Quality Assurance Coordinator.
The main duties of the QA Project Officer will include:
- Organization of various QA capacity building workshops for QAAs and institutional assessments;
- Management of the website of the African Higher Education QA Platform and African QA database;
- Analysis of QA regional frameworks and preparation of periodic reports; and
- Any other duties or project management assignments that the Secretary-General or the Director of Research and Academic Planning (QA Coordinator) may assign.
Profile of the QA Officer
- At least a Masters’ Degree or equivalent academic qualification in a relevant discipline; a PhD degree will be an advantage;
- Having held academic and/or project management position with experience in QA and report writing;
- Familiarity with the African higher education environment and higher education regional and sub-regional bodies;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Ability to prepare and manage project budgets and produce project reports;
- Have demonstrable experience in programme development and implementation;
- Have good management, presentation and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent communication skills. Proficiency in English and French will be an advantage.
- At least 5 years’ experience working in Africa on QA issues, with extended period outside home country;
- Knowledge and exposure of higher education, with particular focus on Africa higher education environment;
- Good computer and Internet skills and familiarity with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, MS Project.
Terms and Conditions of Employment
- The contract will be for a period of two (2) years, subject to a probationary period of one (1) year. The appointment may be extended subject to availability of funds.
- The position requires regular travel outside Ghana.
- The AAU offers an attractive remuneration package calculated and paid in US dollars;
- As a member of the AAU project management team, the QA Project Officer will enjoy diplomatic privileges accorded to non-Ghanaian senior professional staff.
- Annual leave of twenty-one (21) working days
- Other attractive benefits include a monthly post-adjustment allowance and rent subsidy.
How to apply
All applications should be sent to:
The Secretary General
Association of African Universities (AAU)
11 Aviation Extension Road, Airport Residential, Accra, Ghana
The deadline for receipt of applications is 4th December 2015
Nice article dear. You efficiently describe that what actually is a project management. For more information please visit project management