About the Association of African Universities (AAU)
The AAU is an international non-profit, non-governmental organization created by African Universities to promote cooperation among them on the one hand, and between them and the international academic community on the other. Created in 1967, the AAU is the voice of higher education in Africa and aims to improve the quality of African higher education, and to strengthen its contribution to Africa’s development by supporting the core functions of higher education institutions and facilitating critical reflection and consensus building on issues affecting higher education. The AAU is headquartered in Accra, Ghana, has a membership of more than 400 Higher Education Institutions and is the technical implementing arm of the African Union Commission (AUC) in higher education. The Association is also the coordinating agency of the Higher Education Cluster of the Continental Education Strategy for Africa (CESA 16-25). Through our guidance, our member universities are responsible for implementing the Science, Technology, and Innovation Strategy for Africa (STISA 2024) of the AUC.
Organisational Unit: Directorate of ICT, Communications and Knowledge Management
Job Title: Web Developer
Duty Station: AAU Secretariat, Accra- Ghana
About the Job
We are looking for a skilled Web Developer who has considerable graphic design skills to be responsible for supporting the development and/or design of websites for our organisation. You will be working with the Senior Web Developer in creating, maintaining, and updating our websites. The Web Developer should have a minimum number of three years working experience in a web development role.
Web Developer Responsibilities:
The Web Developer will play a role in the following areas
- Website and software application designing, building, or maintaining.
- Using scripting or authoring languages, management tools, content creation tools, applications, and digital media.
- Conferring with teams to resolve conflicts, prioritize needs, develop content criteria, or choose solutions.
- Performing Website updates.
- Developing or validating test routines and schedules to ensure that test cases mimic external interfaces and address all browser and device types.
- Editing, writing, or designing Website content, and working with team members who produce content.
- Identifying problems uncovered by user feedback and testing and correcting or referring problems to appropriate personnel for correction.
- Evaluating websites to ensure it meets industry standards, is valid, is properly structured, and is compatible with browsers, devices, or operating systems.
- Illustrating concepts by designing examples of art arrangement, size, type size and style and submitting them for approval.
- Contributing to team efforts by accomplishing tasks as needed.
- Creating a wide range of graphics and layouts for product illustrations, company logos, and websites with software such as photoshop.
- Reviewing final layouts and suggesting improvements when necessary.
- Solid knowledge and experience in WordPress.
- Demonstrable graphic design skills with a strong portfolio.
- Proficiency with required desktop publishing tools, including Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator.
- Experience with computer-aided design.
- Dedicated team player
- Solid ability in both written and verbal communication.
- A strong eye for visual composition.
- Effective time management skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Able to give and receive constructive criticism.
- Knowledge of API’s and technical terminology.
- Able to develop ideas and processes and clearly express them.
- Understanding of marketing, production, website design, corporate identity, product packaging, advertisements, and multimedia design.
Read more about the vacancy and apply here