The Association of African Universities in partnership with Al-Ahzar University in Egypt, invites individuals / institutions to their DATAD-R VIII workshop to be held at the Prestigious Al-Azhar University International Conference Centre in Egypt from the 24th – 27th September 2018. This DATAD-R VIII workshop, is for both Librarians and library IT support staff of University libraries, and other information and knowledge management professionals especially those from northern and central countries on the continent and outside.
Institutions thinking of managing the theses/dissertation and research from faculty electronically, but having challenges, institutions that intend to set up an institutional repository and to make their research more visible, Institutions with existing repositories that want to revamp their repositories to meet current trends and be harvested for DATAD-R are all strongly encouraged to participate. There will be some time allocated for hands-on practicals and there will be two parallel sessions namely
1. IR management training for the librarians and
2. IR setup, configuration and customization for Library IT staff.
Institutions are strongly encouraged to send 2 participants – one for each session above- to attend this all-important meeting. Areas to be covered will include the following for
• What is a repository and the benefits for an HEI
• Advocacy and institutional support
• A useful checklist for Setting up an IR
• Technical approaches to setting up an IR
• Metadata descriptions
• Creating users and user groups
• Creating communities and collections
• Assigning roles and establishing workflows
• Setting up the IR server
• Installing software (DSpace)
• Upgrading from lower versions to higher version of DSpace
• Configuration DSpace,
• Customizing DSpace
• Integrating DSpace into institutional website/platforms
• Making your repository more visible by means of
o Google analytics
o RSS feeds
o Other social media platforms
• Tracking visits through online statistical monitoring
The registration fee per participant is as listed below, and will cover the cost of snacks, lunch and training material.
Participants from AAU member institutions $400
Participants from Non-AAU member Institution $500
Interested participants are kindly requested to register online at the link below
Please endeavor to register by 30th August 2018, to allow time to arrange for visas. Participants will cover their cost of air ticket and accommodation.
For further information please contact: Edith Laari firstname.lastname@example.org and copy Abednego Corlety email@example.com