The ‘’Université Omar Bongo’’ then ‘’Université nationale du Gabon (UNG)’’was established in 1970. It was re-named to ‘’Université Omar Bongo’’ in 1974 and is a full member of the Association of African Universities. The ‘’Université Omar Bongo’’ is a public institution based in Libreville, Gabon and has the following objectives:
- Develop and transmit knowledge, in accordance with the evolution of science and technology and teaching methods;
- Develop research and training for men and women;
- Meet the needs of senior technicians in the areas of its teaching field, guaranteeing both the vocation, performance and the right of all to training on the basis of merit, excellence to meet the socio-economic development of the nation;
- Encourage and reward scientific and technical research by facilitating premium research by teachers, lecturers, researchers and students;
- Develop in students a sense of effort, responsibility, participation, respect of the public good and citizenship;
- Promote national unity and solidarity;
- Promote the study and knowledge of the culture and heritage of Gabon, while promoting sub-regional and international cooperation.As such Université Omar Bongo:
- Organizes accessible continuing education – for all levels in society and at the various life stages of man. It is based on initial training, continuing education and training of trainers;
- Develops skills and knowledge control mechanisms consistent with LMD (Degree Master Doctorate);
- Provides teachers, lecturers, researchers and students the necessary serenity for study, reflection and intellectual creativity;
- Facilitates cultural, sporting and social activities
As part of the fulfillment of its tasks, the Omar Bongo University maintains relationships with other academic institutions and organizations of scientific and technical research. These partnerships are reflected in particular by conducting joint research and teaching programs in the various departments in the form of educational or research teams.
The Omar Bongo University awards, according to current regulations, degrees, diplomas, in line with the higher education training it provides itself or in cooperation with other national and international institutions.
The ‘’Université Omar Bongo’’ hosted the Association of African Universities 13th General Conference in Libreville, Gabon in 2013.
The Rector of the Omar Bongo Universit is Professor Marc Louis Ropivia since 2012
The University URL is: https://www.uob.ga/