The University of Sierra Leone is a public national university owned by the Government of Sierra Leone. It is composed of Fourah Bay College – (FBC), Institute of Public Administration and Management – (IPAM) and College of Medicine and Allied Health Sciences – (COMAHS). The University of Sierra Leone is a full member of the Association of African Universities.
This week we will focus on Fourah Bay College which is a constituent college of the University of Sierra Leone. Fourah Bay College is located on Mount Aureol, on the outskirts of Freetown and was founded by the Church Missionary Society in 1827 (188 years ago), for the purpose of training Africans as schoolmasters, catechists and clergymen. By the University of Sierra Leone Act of 1972, Fourah Bay College lost its autonomy which it enjoyed under the 1967 Act, and became a constituent College of the University of Sierra Leone.
Fourah Bay College has the following faculties and institutes:
- Faculties – Arts, Pure And Applied Sciences, Social Sciences and Law and Engineering
- Institutes – African Studies, Population Studies, Library, Information & Communication Studies and Marine Biology & Oceanography
- The University of Sierra Leone in partnership with the African Social Governance research and eleven other Universities in Africa offers a Master of research and Public Policy degree progrmme.
- The Patriotic Vanguard recently published an interesting article about the history of Fourah Bay College – titled “What Sierra Leoneans did not know about Fourah Bay College”. Please read it from here
- Professor. Ekundayo Thompson is the Vice Chancellor and Principal of the University of Sierra Leone and the Deputy Vice Chancellor is Professor Sahr Gbamanja.
How to contact Fourah Bay College:
Fourah Bay College – University of Sierra Leone
Mount Aureol, Freetown, Sierra Leone
Tel: 232 22 227924/224260
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org