UNIVERSITY OF THE GAMBIA – Office of the University Registrar
Vacancy Notice For The Position Of Vice Chancellor, University Of The Gambia
The University of The Gambia has a vacancy for the position of Vice Chancellor. Applications are therefore invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the position. The Vice Chancellor, under the direction of the University Governing Council, is the academic head and chief executive officer of the University responsible for leadership, management and development of the University and realization of its mission.
(1) PERSON SPECIFICATIONS
- The candidate must be of professorial rank, including a track record in terms of academic achievements reflected in extensive peer review publications.
- Be experienced in fundraising, international networking and posses excellent report writing skills.
- The candidate must have experience in the establishment and management of a University or Universities particularly in developing countries.
- The candidate must have a solid proven University teaching and research background, demonstrated leadership and managerial competence.
- Candidate must have a broad range of international contacts and posses excellent personal qualities such as vision, integrity, initiative, team building spirit, dedication and commitment etc.
- The candidate must have served in a University or Institution of similar status for a minimum of 15 years.
- The candidate should have sound communication and management skills with administrative competences.
- The candidate must posses the ability to mobilize, promote and inspire the work of University researchers.
- Experience as Deputy Vice Chancellor (or equivalent) would confer an advantage.
- Management training and experience in strategic planning and / or curriculum development would also be an advantage.
- Candidate must be proficient in computing and should have skills and competencies in the use of computer packages.
(2) JOB DESCRIPTION: The Vice Chancellor shall perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- The day – to – day administration of the University and the general supervision and direction over the academic and administrative work of the University and its faculty officers and employees.
- Directing the institutional planning, development and implementing the decisions or policies of the Council with respect to academic and other relevant matters.
- Preparation of the annual estimates of income and expenditure for consideration by the Council and for the management of the budget and resources within the estimates approved by the Council. A quarterly financial statement as required by Financial Regulations should also be submitted.
- Playing a significant role in fund-raising or mobilization of resources to reduce the current dependency on government funding.
- Serve as Chair of Senate and also ex officio member of the Council, every faculty board, school and committee of the University and any like body within the University.
- Exercise general authority over the staff of the University, with power to suspend from duty any member of staff, reporting the matter without delay to the Council.
- Confer degrees or preside over academic ceremonies of the University, in the absence of the Chancellor.
- Submission of a general quarterly report on the University’s activities, achievements, plans or developments taking place to Council.
- Submission of an annual report to the Honourable Minister of Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology, through the Governing Council on the achievements and activities of the University.
(3) SALARY AND FRINGE BENEFITS: Very attractive
(4) HOW TO APPLY
All applications to be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org and copied to email@example.com
Not later than 3rd August, 2015. Shortlisted candidates shall be invited for interview at short notice and successful applicants should be available to assume duties immediately.
Qualified Gambians are encouraged to apply.